Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Miscanthus - Highly cellulosic !!

I was just wondering where I could gather information about the composition of Miscanthus for my research studies till my eyes landed upon this article. I have only focused only the composition of a specific species of Miscanthus. Apparently, this article also produces many other interesting details of this emerging energy crop.

Interestingly, studies reveal that 0.4 kg of oil can be extracted from 1 kg of Miscanthus dry matter. A species of interest here is the Miscanthus.sinensisis is known to consist of a large quantities of Cellulose, which shows that it can be considered a great bio ethanol producer. Additionally it also contains negligible amounts of hemicellulose, lignin and ash which is clearly illustrated in the pie-chart below:



For those interested : Full article.

No comments:

Post a Comment